However, things have calmed down, sorta, and I will focus on this blog again.
But on to the second part of the title of this entry, which probably has you scratching your head when you read Eros Day. Now this idea isn't entirely my own, but I have never honestly connected with Valentines Day-it's mythology, etc. Now I don't have a problem with Christianity or Catholicism, but we just never clicked.
And the Romans this time of year had Lupercalia, which was a fertility festival, and valentines day really isn't a fertility festival ( it could be for some lol ), but I have always wanted to create something connected to some of the symbols associated with the holiday.
So keeping this always in the back of my mind, I was inspired when I was watching Caprica, the BSG prequel, and the episode that I saw, they were celebrating Eros Day-giving each other cards etc. From there I was inspired. So this year I decided to celebrate Eros Day. In Roman Mythology, Cupid (or Amor) was associated with Eros, and since Cupid already plays a big part- and besides Cupid Day doesn't have that ring to it, you know what I mean?
From there Eros Day to Eros; how would or should someone celebrate? While I haven't figured out the logistics on the how just yet, but this year let's make Eros Day our pagan version of the holiday... we can honor Eros along with his mother....
And since he shoots arrows that makes lovers fall in love, he is also the patron of male love, so right there we have taken care of two birds with one stone, if you think about it. A god associated with love in different forms.
So can I be the first to wish you dear reader a Happy Eros Day!!!!
Celebrate with love, chocolate... Let Eros' arrows strike our hearts this day....
P|S I know this post isn't really well written, but I wanted to put my idea down on paper and let it blossom to see where it goes.
4 comments:
Yay!!!!! I'll sort mine out ASAP, then link it this post. It's good you pointed out that it was Eros day, most pagans obsess over the goddess so day's when the male side is to be celebrated are never thought of. Good on ya, and thanks for inspiring me!
Last night's ritual was fab =]
Welcome back!
Happy Eros Day to you too!
I guess this would be a more appropriate name, especially thinking about the nearly bipolar nature of Eros who makes you fall in love with his arrows, but doesn't quite understand what love means to most people.
It is so good to have you back ;-)
Sy, thank you for the shout out on your blog.....
And Magaly, its great to be back.....
Valentines Day began as a fertility festival. It is a celebration of cosmological events seen by the ancients in the heavens. It was re-enacted in the Greek tradition as the Heiros Gamos (did you see "The DaVinci Code?), or Temple Marriage. It was also part of many ancient coronation rights, where the queen places the crown on the king's head because, cosmologically, the queen was the king's crown (ex, the Egyptian White Crown). The heart image, which looks nothing like a human heart, was an image seen in the ancient heavens when the Hero God (Eros) returned from Earth to his rightful place in Heaven, and he and the Queen of Heaven coupled in the ancient skies. That's why fertility rites were part of every ancient culture that observed these events in the heavens and then sought to re-enact it in a sacred drama. Hence, the heart image was associated with the holy day (holiday) celebrating that ancient cosmological event.
Post a Comment